*Please note, this tour is designed as an extension to our Botswana Safari, September 16 – 27, but can be booked on its own or as an extension to independent travel in Africa.
Experience the fantastic beauty of the Namib Desert, Namibia’s coastal region, and the stunning Erongo Mountains as we make a loop trip from Windhoek. Wind-blown dunes and gravel plains, this desert is among the oldest in the world and is home to birds like Rüppell's Korhaan, Rockrunner, Burchell's Courser, Damara Tern, Rüppell's Parrot, Hartlaub’s Spurfowl, Dune Lark, Gray’s Lark, Bare-cheeked Babbler, Kori Bustard, and many more. We also watch for iconic African mammals like Zebra, Giraffe, Warthog, and more.
- Watch for wildlife at the Daan Viljoen Game Reserve, right from Windhoek
- Learn about Namibia's history, culture, and geography as we drive to Namib-Naukluft National Park
- Witness large flocks of Namaqua Sandgrouse at the Weltverde Guest Farm's watering hole near the dining room
- Start early to witness sunrise at the iconic Namib red dunes near Sesriem and Sossusvlei
- Climb the famous Dune 45 for incredible views of the desert's dunes (optional, of course)
- Bird the Namib Plains en route to Walvis Bay; here we find the Atlantic Ocean — to the west!
- Dine at the Raft Restaurant in Walvis Bay
- Search the Skeleton Coast for sea and shorebirds and enjoy great photo opportunities
- Kick back under starry skies at our Erongo Mountain lodge
Photo credits: Banner: Giraffe by Peg Abbott; Dune Lark by Ian Merrill, courtesy Birding Africa; Kori Bustard, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Rock Agamid by Dalton Gibbs, courtesy Birding Africa; Rockrunner by Ian Merrill, courtesy Birding Africa; Dunes by Ian Merrill, courtesy Birding Africa; Rosy-faced Lovebirds by Dalton Gibbs, courtesy Birding Africa; Greater Flamingo by Dalton Gibbs, courtesy Birding Africa; Gemsbok/Southern Oryx by Trevor and Jenni Franks, courtesy Birding Africa.