Experience the history, nature, and culture of the charming South Carolina coast. Explore Savannah and Charleston, and stop at historic forts and Morris Island Lighthouse. Enjoy horse-drawn carriage rides over cobblestone streets, bird the famous Magnolia Plantation, tour antebellum mansions and museums, and dine at famous local restaurants.
Tour the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge, then enjoy time in historic Savannah, a Revolutionary and Civil War port city that offers Southern Charm like no other. Experience the natural diversity of the immense ACE Basin; this National Wildlife Refuge protects over 1-million acres that stretch between Charlotte and Savannah. This rich mix of habitats and 700,000+ estuary acres are a haven to endangered wildlife.
Finally, spend two days walking and birding at charming Folly Beach and enjoying beautiful Charleston.
- Discover Savannah Wildlife Refuge, home to myriad bird and wildlife species, including Bobcat
- Learn the history of Gullah Sweetgrass baskets, one of the oldest African-based handcrafts in the US
- Explore the Caw Caw Interpretive Center, searching for Bald Eagle, Swallow-tailed Kite, Wood Stork, Osprey, waterfowl, wading birds, otters, American Alligator, and deer (to name a few)
- Travel scenic Highway 17 through ACE Basin and enjoy the changing fall colors and unusual topography — salt marshes, cypress swamps, and live oak and longleaf pine forest
- Enjoy three days touring the Charleston area, one of North America’s most architecturally-significant cities
- Immerse yourself in the Charleston City Market, teeming with culture, local art, and mouthwatering foods
- Cruise the Charleston Harbor en route to Ft. Sumter and spot a variety of sea birds
Photo credits: Banner: Estuary by Pat Lueders; Great Egret and Woodstork by Peg Abbott; Estuary Scenic by Peg Lueders; Birding Savannah NWR by Pat Lueders; Colorful Home by Pat Lueders; Folly Beach Sign by Pat Lueders; Yellow-crowned Night Heron, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Lighthouse by Pat Lueders.