Explore with Naturalist Journeys on this Ecuador birding tour. This peaceful, beautiful country covers some of the best birding in South America. Stay at our favorite lodges in a mix of regions, including Buenaventura, Tapichalaca, and Copalinga. At Jocotoco Reserves, and Cajas and Podocarpus National Parks, experience Ecuador’s remarkable wildlife and spectacular scenery and birds. Spot over 400 species of birds, including 40 or more hummingbirds! Enjoy time in Cuenca with lovely local markets.
- Relax at the lovely Puembo Birding Garden in Quito at both the beginning and end of the tour
- Search Arenillas National Park for Tumbesian endemics, including Collared Antshrike, White-tailed Jay, and Peruvian Pygmy Owl
- Bird the Jocotoco Foundation’s Buenaventura Reserve for the elusive Long-wattled Umbrellabird and the highly local El Oro Parakeet
- Search Tapichalaca Reserve for Jocotoco Antpitta, White-capped Tanager, Golden-Plumed Parakeet, and Gray-breasted Mountain Toucan
- Explore the cloud forest of Podocarpus National Park as you look for Giant Conebill, the endemic Bearded Guan, Crimson-mantled Woodpecker, Purple-throated Sunangel, and several tanagers
- Enjoy private casitas at Cabinas Ecologicas Copalinga, with frenzied hummingbirds feeding right outside your door
- Spend time in the 500-year-old city of Loja, walking through the park-like squares and enjoying time at the local art museum
- Visit Cajas National Park near Cuenca, where the high paramo is dappled with over 250 lakes
Photo credits: Banner: Marketplace by Peg Abbott; Yellow-rumped Cacique by Bud Ferguson; Choco Toucan by Peg Abbott; Sparkling Violetear by Peg Abbott; Green Honeycreeper by Peg Abbott; Market Day by Peg Abbott; Spectacled Bear, courtesy neblinaforest.com; Immature Tiger Heron, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Sunbittern, Naturalist Journeys Stock.