“[Guide Willy Alfaro] was everything you promised — we felt very lucky to have him as our guide. He was so good-humored and well-informed ... and clearly cares a great deal about — and is very proud of — his country.” — Angela Burnett
Few places rival Costa Rica’s ecological diversity. Over a quarter of the country is protected lands, boasting 850 bird species and 200+ mammals.
Search La Selva Biological Station for Neo Tropical specialties. Traverse the Continental Divide, from lowland rainforest to cloud forest. Glide down a river looking for colorful birds, Green Iguana, and Mantled Howler Monkey. Relax at a mountain lodge and witness Emerald Toucanet and Collared Redstart in the wild Savegre Valley. Here Resplendent Quetzal nest and American Dipper feed in the rushing stream.
As always with Willy, we have fun, tasting the local ice-cream and perhaps visiting a local market. Share in Costa Rican customs and sample local foods while you experience our hosts’ exceptional hospitality.
An added bonus: Our guide, Willy Alfaro, is a certified National Geographic photographer (wow!), always happy to give pointers.
- Search for the stunning Resplendent Quetzal, high in the cloud forest at the private Mirador Quetzales sanctuary
- Spot Flame-throated Warbler, Flame-colored Tanager, Long-tailed Silky-Flycatcher, and Emerald Toucanet in the splendid Rio Savegre Valley
- Enjoy close-up hummingbird viewing from the verandah at Rancho Naturalista
- Explore and bird the fascinating archaeological site of Guayabo National Monument
- Seek many of the nearly 900 species of birds recorded at La Selva Biological Station
- Relax on a Sarapaqui River boat trip in search of Sunbittern, Green Ibis, Fasciated Tiger-Heron, and more
- Opt for a delightful five-day Pacific Coast extension
Photo credits: Banner: Green Thorntail by Willy Alfaro; Green Violetear, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Golden-hooded Tanager, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Passion Flower by Willy Alfaro; White-fronted Capuchins by Peg Abbott; Long-winged Butterfly by Willy Alfaro; Savegre River by Willy Alfaro; Passion Flower by Willy Alfaro; Long-tailed Silky Flycatcher by Bud Ferguson.