We are excited to feature two of our most popular leaders, Carol Simon and Howard Topoff, on this Cuba People-to-People tour. Discover Cuba with local experts and this dynamic duo on a people-to-people adventure that highlights Cuba’s vibrant cultural life and its abundant natural history. Our Cuban guide shares Cuban history and culture, while Carol and Howard lend their special insights into animal behavior and Caribbean ecology as we travel through beautiful geography, making a wide loop through rural regions before finishing the tour with time in Havana. Learn as you travel by making connections with the Cuban people – biologists, artists, dancers, teachers, and more.
Discover the countryside and historic sections of Cienfuegos, Trinidad, and Havana. Explore the Zapata wetlands, Viñales Valley, Sierra de Escambray, and Bay of Pigs. Meet locals, their families, and friends in villages. Learn first-hand how Cubans looks to their future, and how they interpret their past.
Explore a wonderful variety of habitats, from tropical and montane forests to mangroves that support 28 endemic birds, plus a number of regional Caribbean specialties. This is a legal people-to-people program conducted with our permitted partner, International Expeditions.
Important Travel Information
International Expeditions, Inc. follows the guidelines set forth by the United States Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control to engage, organize, and conduct people-to-people travel to Cuba. This is an opportunity to engage with Cubans in the most authentic way possible — through the eyes of its people.
- Learn about Cuban biology as you travel with two biologists, Carol Simon and Howard Topoff
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Trinidad, and spend time with artisans and musicians
- Explore Topes de Collantes National Park with a local naturalist, looking for birds like Red-legged Thrush, Western Stripe-headed Tanager, Cuban Bullfinch, Cuban Trogon, and West Indian Woodpecker
- Take a walk with a local farmer, looking for the incredibly small Bee Hummingbird near the Bay of Pigs
- Visit Cuba’s exciting Korimakao Project, home to the best musicians, dancers, and artists who travel the country
- Tour Finca Vigia, Hemingway’s home, preserved as it was when he left in 1960
- Drive across the lovely Vinales Valley ahead of lunch with a local family on an organic farm
- Work your way through the lush orchid gardens (a birding hot spot) of Soroa with staff from the University of Pinar del Rio
- Explore Old and New Havana
Photo credits: Banner: Woman Texting, Peg Abbott; Great Lizard Cuckoo, Bud Ferguson; Havana Scenic, Lynn Feryus; Cuban Parrot, Greg Smith; Cuban Singers, Greg Smith; Cuban Pygmy Owl, Bud Ferguson; Blue Car, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Trinidad, Cuba Yellow Building, Greg Smith; West Indian Woodpecker, Lynn Feryus.