“[Guide Willy Alfaro] was everything you promised — we felt very lucky to have him as our guide. He was so good-humored and well-informed ... and clearly cares a great deal about — and is very proud of — his country.” —Angela Burnett
Costa Rica’s ecological diversity is nearly unrivaled. Over a fourth of the country is preserved, either by national park, biological reserve, wildlife refuge, or protected area ... and for good reason: Costa Rica is home to 850+ bird species, 50,000 insect species, 208 mammal species, and 2,000 orchids.
We spend several days at most of our locations to really immerse in the surrounding habitats. Additionally, we visit an outstanding botanical garden and, whenever possible, local markets. Sample local foods and share in Costa Rican customs while you experience our hosts’ exceptional hospitality. A highlight of the tour is a visit to ornithological writer Dr. Alexander Skutch’s farm.
Off the beaten track, Southern Costa Rica offers a special getaway to explore the Central American tropics.
- Enjoy birdy and beautiful gardens right at our hotel in San José
- Search for the beautiful Resplendent Quetzal in the stunning Savegre River Valley
- Visit the farm of the late ornithologist, Alexander Skutch
- Spend three wonderful nights at the Wilson Botanical Gardens
- Traverse the lush forest trails at Carara and Piedras Blancas National Parks
- Bird at eye level with the birds as you walk the canopy-level Sky Walk
Photo credits: Banner: Green Violetear, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Collared Redstart by Tom Dove; Ox Cart by Peg Abbott; Green Violetear, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Summer Tanager, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Blue-crowned Motmot by Peg Abbott; Three-toed Sloth by Peg Abbott; White-fronted Capuchin Monkeys by Peg Abbott; Collared Aracari by Willy Alfaro.