Naturalist Journeys is pleased to offer this Guatemala birding tour, with guides Keith Hansen and Patricia Briceño. Guatemala is an fantastic birding destination with more than 700 bird species, 40 of which are regional endemics. And although this is primarily a birding tour, like all of Naturalist Journeys’ tours we are sure to make time to immerse ourselves in Guatemala’s nature and culture, enjoying a sense of place as we explore. With its beautiful volcanoes and highland lakes, interesting culture and historic Spanish and Maya cities, Guatemala has much to offer the nature and cultural enthusiast, alike.
During this Guatemala tour, we take plenty of time to observe and photograph birds, wildlife, and landscapes, getting to know Guatemala’s contrasts, colonial cities, jungles, volcanoes, archaeological sites, and much more.
Explore our other Central American birding tours.
- Witness the stunning Resplendent Quetzal at El Biotop Reserve, protected since 1977
- Hike in Las Nubes Reserve for specialties like Scaly-breasted and Stripe-tailed Hummingbirds
- Visit to Los Tarrales Reserve along the “route of volcanoes, mountains, and beaches”
- Enjoy time at the breathtaking Lake Atitlán and see some of the nearby Indian villages
- See the 400-year old Church of Santo Tomás and market at Chichicastenango
- Hike the San Pedro Volcano looking for the prized Horned Guan (optional, of course)
- Indulge on a gastronomic tour in Antigua Guatemala, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Opt to join in on an extension to Tikal to explore and bird amongst the incredible Mayan ruins
Photo credits: Banner: Resplendent Quetzal by Greg Smith Roseate Spoonbills, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Child Playing, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Capuchin Mother and Baby by Peg Abbot; Red-capped Manakin by Bob Behrstock; Farm by Peg Abbott; Bird of Paradise Plant, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Brown Butterfly by Steve Wylie; Blue-crowned Chlorophonia by Robert Gallardo.