Join us for a Colombia birding tour with Naturalist Journeys on an adventure to the endemic-rich Caribbean Coast of Colombia, a spectacularly scenic area where palm-lined beaches fringe the skirts of snow-capped summits, and avian diversity is unmatched.
We ascend into the lush forest slopes of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta (8,800 feet), to the higher reaches of the delightful El Dorado Lodge, and back to Tayrona National Park on the coast. With little drive time, we are left with plentiful opportunities to bird, swim, and relax.
This adventure should produce most of the 21 endemics of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta! Colombia’s 1,900 bird species include exclusively Neotropical families like guans, woodcreepers, ovenbirds, antbirds, puffbirds, toucans, jacamars, manakins, and motmots.
- Explore in one of the safest and most beautiful areas of Colombia
- Bird the Magdalena River and the Ciénaga Grande marshes, the setting for Nobel Prize winner, García Marquez’s book Love in the Time of Cholera
- Search for Santa Marta endemics en route to El Dorado Lodge, including the Santa Marta Tapaculo and White-tailed Starfrontlet
- Take in the sunrise and waking birds atop San Lorenzo Ridge, high above the windswept cloud forest
- Absorb breathtaking sunset views of the ocean and Magdalena Delta from our lodge
- Explore Tropical Dry Forest in Tayrona National Park, one of the last Dry Forest habitats in Colombia
- Watch for mammals like Three-toed Sloth, Nine-banded Armadillo, Cotton-top Tamarin, Night Monkey, White-fronted Capuchin Monkey, and two species of brocket deer in Tayrona
- Enjoy an optional beach, birding, and history extension in Tayrona and Santa Marta
Photo credits: Banner: Santa Marta Scenic, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Birding Colombia, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Red Howler Monkey, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Gustavo Guiding by Peg Abbott; White-tailed Hillstar by Peg Abbott; Adventure Birding, Naturalist Journeys Stock; White-tipped Quetzal, courtesy Neblina Forest; White-tailed Hillstar by Peg Abbott; White-headed Marsh Tyrant, courtesy Neblina Forest.