Join Naturalist Journeys on this wonderful Ecuador birding tour. Explore the beautiful and peaceful country of Ecuador, and enjoy some of the best birdwatching in South America. We spend time at our favorite lodges in a variety of regions, including Buenaventura, Tapichalaca, and Copalinga. At Jocotoco Reserves, and Podocarpus and Cajas National Parks, discover Ecuador’s fascinating wildlife and incredible birds and scenery. See over 400 species of birds, including 40+ hummingbirds! Enjoy time at lovely local markets in Cuenca.
- Discover Arenillas National Park for Tumbesian endemics, including White-tailed Jay, Collared Antshrike, and Peruvian Pygmy Owl
- Bird at the Jocotoco Foundation’s Buenaventura Reserve for the highly local El Oro Parakeet and the elusive Long-wattled Umbrellabird
- Explore Tapichalaca Reserve for Jocotoco Antpitta, Gray-breasted Mountain, Toucan Golden-Plumed Parakeet, and White-capped Tanager
- Visit the cloud forest of Podocarpus National Park as you look for the endemic Bearded Guan, Giant Conebill, Purple-throated Sunangel, Crimson-mantled Woodpecker, and several tanagers
- Relax in private casitas at Cabinas Ecologicas Copalinga, with hummingbirds in a feeding frenzy right outside your door
- Spend time exploring the 500-year-old city of Loja, enjoying time at the local art museum and walking through the park-like squares
- See Cajas National Park near Cuenca, where the high paramo is dappled with over 250 lakes
Photo credits: Banners: Marketplace by Peg Abbott; Spectacled Bear, courtesy Neblina Forest; Jocotoco Antpitta by Carlos Sanchez; Choco Toucan by Peg Abbott; Dusky-headed Parakeets by Greg Smith; Yellow-rumped Cacique by Bud Ferguson; Sparkling Violetear by Peg Abbott; Gray Tinamou by Carlos Sanchez; Immature Tiger Heron, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Sunbittern, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Butterflies by Carlos Sanchez; Birding Ecuador by Woody Wheeler.