Join Naturalist Journeys on a NEW! Nicaragua nature tour. Nicaragua’s varied natural landscapes are stunning and provide an incredible backdrop to our explorations; we also make time to learn about the Nicaraguan culture. Our tour is based out of three small eco-lodges, two or which are within private reserves. From our lodges, we explore rainforest trails, mountain lakes, two different volcanoes, and a variety of cultural sites at a relaxed pace. There are very few places in the world where you can drive right up to a living, breathing volcano and Masaya is one of them — a highlight of our tour! We make time for plenty of bird watching in rainforest, cloud forest, and dry forest habitats that offer a wide variety of birds, butterflies, and orchids. The combination of natural history, geology, and cultural components make this tour quite unique … Nicaragua is a neotropical wonderland.
- Spot hummingbirds like Violet Sabrewing, Green Violetear, Emerald-chinned Hummingbird, Violet-crowned Woodnymph, and Blue-throated Goldentail at El Jaguar Reserve
- Cruise Lake Apanás to spot a wide variety of water and shorebirds
- Visit two distinct volcanoes; one that is living and another adorned with cloud forest
- Take an evening excursion to Masaya Volcano to see the lake of lava at twilight
- Spend time at two sites where different styles of traditional ceramics are made
- Enjoy delicious local foods, including incredibly delicious chocolate-fruit smoothies
- Stay at private and secluded nature reserves filled with birds and other neotropical wildlife
Photo credits: Banner: Ometepe Volcano by Robert Gallardo; El Jaguar Reserve by Robert Gallardo; Purple-throated Mountain-gem by Robert Gallardo; Group at Masaya Volcano by Robert Gallardo; Collared Trogon by Robert Gallardo; Montibelli Lodge by Robert Gallardo; Boa by Robert Gallardo; Crimson-collared Tanager by Robert Gallardo; Masaya Volcano by Robert Gallardo.