We invite you to join Naturalist Journeys on a new Nicaragua nature tour. Nicaragua’s varied landscapes are strikingly beautiful and provide an stunning backdrop to our explorations; we also make time to learn about the Nicaraguan culture. This Nicaragua tour is based out of three small eco-lodges nestled within private reserves. From our lodgings, we explore rain forest trails, mountain lakes, two different volcanoes, and a variety of cultural sites, all at a relaxed pace. There are few places in the world where you can drive right up to the edge of a living, breathing volcano and Masaya is one of them — a highlight of our tour! We also make time for plenty of bird watching in cloud forest, rain forest, and dry forest that offer a wide array of birds, butterflies, and orchids … Nicaragua is a neotropical wonderland.
- See hummingbirds like Green Violetear, Violet Sabrewing, Violet-crowned Woodnymph, Emerald-chinned Hummingbird, and Blue-throated Goldentail at El Jaguar Reserve
- Take a boat trip around Lake Apanás to spot plentiful waterbirds and shorebirds
- Explore two distinct volcanoes; one that is living and the other that is dormant and adorned with cloud forest
- Participate in a special evening excursion to Masaya Volcano to see the lake of lava as the sun sets
- Spend time at two traditional ceramic making sites and learn about two different styles of pottery
- Indulge in a chocolate-making workshop — yum!
- Relax at three private and secluded nature reserves filled with birds and other neotropical wildlife
Photo credits: Banner: Ometepe Volcano by Robert Gallardo; El Jaguar Reserve by Robert Gallardo; Purple-throated Mountain-gem by Robert Gallardo; Group at Masaya Volcano by Robert Gallardo; Collared Trogon by Robert Gallardo; Montibelli Lodge by Robert Gallardo; Boa by Robert Gallardo; Crimson-collared Tanager by Robert Gallardo; Masaya Volcano by Robert Gallardo.