Join Naturalist Journeys for this exciting Alaska nature tour. In a world where the treasures of wildlife and wild places dwindle, Alaska remains a wilderness jewel. More than any other place in North America, it retains its wild character and ecological integrity, making a trip here simply a “must do” experience.
Our Alaska wildlife tour visits in August: a time for ripe berries, mammals in their prime, and birds. It is also a time of frenzied feeding ahead of fall migration, while the tundra offers its first hints of color from Dwarf Willow and other ground-hugging plants.
Discover Denali National Park as waterfowl and their broods gather in tundra ponds and kettle lakes, and Moose polish their antlers before the rut. Cruise Kenai Fjords National Park to see seabirds like puffins, jaegers, shearwaters, murres, and auklets. Watch and hear tidewater glaciers calving dramatically in a quiet cove where Harbor Seals rest on floating ice, seeking safety from Orca.
This is our classic Alaska Sampler trip: birds and wildlife, plus a uniquely-Alaskan cultural and historical experience.
If you are interested, we're happy to advise on a self-drive Homer extension, a scenic realm of mountains, where ocean and farmland collide. You could enjoy a cruise to Halibut Cove or a flight over active bear country (salmon runs and all!). You might even choose to extend your stay at a bear-viewing camp or lodge. Please inquire.
- Spend time in Downtown Anchorage and its excellent local museum
- Cruise from Seward to see nesting seabirds on the Chiswell Islands, see an actively calving glacier, and spot plenty of shearwaters, jaegers, Humpback Whales, and other marine mammals
- Enjoy three glorious nights at North Face Lodge in Denali NP, with the wilds (and wildlife) just out your door
- Take in this prime time for berries, mammal watching, and bear-sightings, along with a great mix of birds
- Kick back and enjoy stunning scenery aboard the Alaska Railroad between Denali and Anchorage
- Opt to stay on on your own to explore Homer and enjoy a stay at Land's End Resort, optional bear viewing flights, and the Gulf of Alaska
Photo credits: Banners: Three Grizzly Bears by Greg Smith; Harbor Seal by Greg Smith; Caribou by Greg Smith; Breaching Orca by Peg Abbott; Moose by Sandy Sorkin; Canoeing in Denali National Park, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Bull Caribou in Denali National Park, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Willow Ptarmigan by Peg Abbott; Steller Sea Lions, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Canoeing in Denali National Park, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Denali National Park, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Bus in Denali National Park, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Seward Harbor, Naturalist Journeys Stock.