Join Naturalist Journeys on this Pantanal Wildlife Tour. Brazil’s Pantanal is a place of superlatives. The Pantanal is home to the world’s largest fresh-water wetlands, more than ten-times the size of the Everglades and draining into a single channel: the Paraguay River. This Brazil wildlife tour travels deep into this world-class wildlife hotspot on a long road that bisects the Transpantaneira wilderness, in search of an adventure that can’t be missed.
In this famed region, we experience wildlife thriving in a mix of savanna, forest, and wetland habitats. Even a relaxed day of wildlife watching can yield 100+ species of birds and dozens of mammals — Capybara, the world’s largest rodent, are everywhere!
Giant Anteater, Brazilian Tapir, Maned Wolf, Giant Otter, and yes, Jaguar (we saw seven on our 2017 trip!), are five of many fantastic mammals we seek, while Harpy Eagle, Greater Rhea, Helmeted Manakin, Hyacinth Macaw, and Toco Toucan top the list of impressive birds. The impressive Green Anaconda, the world’s largest snake, may be a lucky find, while the small crocodilian Yacaré is seen by the hundreds. For many of our travelers, it is the sheer number and variety of species that leaves the most lasting impression.
Charming cattle ranches are our accommodations, each with its own distinctive wildlife community. Lazy afternoons invite us to wander between shade circles of the ranch trees for rare time with Hyacinth Macaw and other species.
- See South America’s “Big Five” of mammals: Brazilian Tapir, Maned Wolf, Giant Anteater, Giant Otter, and Jaguar
- Witness the “Big Five” of birds: Harpy Eagle, Greater Rhea, Hyacinth Macaw, Toco Toucan, and Helmeted Manakin. Add Southern Screamer, Sunbittern, Scarlet-headed Blackbird, and so many more!
- Travel the famed Transpantaneira wilderness road on safari-like excursions
- Watch for five species of kingfisher
- Indulge on local cuisine and enjoy pleasant hospitality at fazendas (working cattle ranches) at several stages along the road
- Cruise the Cuiabá River, so well known for its Jaguar sightings
- Experience water birds in mass congregation — like those of the Everglades, but magnified!
- Support the Pantanal Wildlife Center with your visit
- See at least four species of monkeys and several hundred species of birds
- Seek out night birds under intense southern sky constellations
Photo credits: Banner: Hyacinth Macaws, Mark Wetzel; Giant Anteater, Leon Moore; Jaguar, Peg Abbott; Horseback Ride, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Toco Toucan, Peg Abbott; Agami Heron, Lori Conrad; Rufous Hornero, Peg Abbott; Jaguar, Peg Abbott, Boat-billed Herons, Tom Dove; Capybara Family, Peg Abbott; Caracara, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Giant Otter, Peg Abbott; Caiman, Xavier Muñoz.