Join Naturalist Journeys and guide Pat Lueders for this South Carolina nature tour. Discover the history, nature, and culture of the charming and beautiful South Carolina coast. Spend time exploring Savannah and Charleston, and make stops at historic forts and Morris Island Lighthouse. Relax on carriage rides over cobblestone streets, bird the beautiful Magnolia Plantation, tour antebellum museums and mansions, and indulge at famous local restaurants.
This tour explores the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge and spends time in historic Savannah, a Revolutionary and Civil War port city that offers incredible Southern Charm. Experience the diversity of the massive ACE Basin; this National Wildlife Refuge protects 1-million+ acres that stretch between Charlotte and Savannah. This rich mix of habitats and 700,000+ estuary acres are a safe haven to endangered wildlife.
Finally, we spend two pleasant days walking and birding at charming Folly Beach and enjoying beautiful Charleston.
- Discover Savannah Wildlife Refuge, home to myriad bird and wildlife species, including Bobcat
- Learn about the history of Gullah Sweetgrass baskets, one of the oldest African-based handcrafts in the United States
- Explore the Caw Caw Interpretive Center, searching for Bald Eagle, Swallow-tailed Kite, Wood Stork, Osprey, waterfowl, wading birds, otters, American Alligator, and deer (to name a few)
- Traverse scenic Highway 17 through ACE Basin and enjoy the changing fall colors and unusual topography — salt marshes, cypress swamps, and live oak and longleaf pine forest
- Take three days to tour the Charleston area, one of North America’s most architecturally-significant cities
- Stroll in the Charleston City Market, teeming with culture, local art, and mouthwatering foods
- Cruise the Charleston Harbor en route to Ft. Sumter and spot a variety of sea birds
Photo credits: Banner: Terns by Pat Lueders, Folly Beach Sunset by Pat Lueders, Estuary by Pat Lueders; Spanish Moss by Pat Lueders; Great Egret and Woodstork by Peg Abbott; Estuary Scenic by Peg Lueders; Birding Savannah NWR by Pat Lueders; Colorful Home by Pat Lueders; Folly Beach Sign by Pat Lueders; Yellow-crowned Night Heron, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Lighthouse by Pat Lueders.