Join Naturalist Journeys for this relaxing Southeast Arizona nature tour. Fall is a stunning time to visit Southeast Arizona’s Sky Island mountain ranges, when fall color decorates the stunning Chiricahua and Huachuca Mountains’ canyons. As other parts of the continent turn towards winter, November here still boasts warm days as maples turn red, cottonwoods yellow, and sycamores shine burnt sienna. Nights are crisp and host dark skies with inspiring star views.
Southeast Arizona is home terrain for Naturalist Journeys and we're excited to share our favorite places. This is also an emerging wine region, so you may want to try some local varietals that complement our blend of Southwestern birding, geology, history, hiking, archeology, and more!
This is a relaxing, week-long Arizona birding trip based out of two lodges. We offer morning and afternoon activities that include birding, hiking, or visiting local historic sites — do as much or as little as you wish!
We pace this tour to show off the region. Options include visiting the Amerind Foundation, Chiricahua National Monument, Fort Bowie, Coronado Memorial, and Kartchner Caverns State Park. Color surrounds us on hikes and birding excursions up Cave Creek, Ramsey, and Miller Canyons. Hummingbirds still linger at several popular feeder sites — let the birds come to you! Wintering Sandhill Cranes number in the tens of thousands; we watch them fly-in at sunset after finding good numbers and a variety of wintering raptors in the Sulphur Springs Valley at Whitewater Draw. Relax over lunch breaks and enjoy the chance to shop or see the Smithsonian-affiliated museum in Bisbee, a colorful, historic mining town. Throughout our travels, we enjoy delicious, catered meals and dining at our favorite local restaurants.
- Explore hotspots like Ramsey and Miller Canyons, the feeders at Ash Canyon, the San Pedro River, and more
- See tens of thousands of Sandhill Cranes as they feed throughout the day and fly in at sunset
- Look for a variety of wintering raptors in the Sulphur Springs Valley at Whitewater Draw
- Hike the trails at Coronado Memorial, local canyons, and on the Arizona Trail
- Enjoy time to lunch, shop, and explore in the beautiful and historic town of Bisbee; see the museum at Fort Huachuca and the remarkable Amerind Foundation
- Indulge on delicious, catered meals and dining at our favorite local restaurants … be sure to save room for the Casa’s famous homemade pie!
Photo credits: Banners: Cave Creek Canyon by Steve Wolfe; Naturalist Journeys Stock; Montezuma Quail by Greg Smith; Patagonia, Arizona by Kathy Pasierb; Sandhill Cranes by Peg Abbott; Great Horned Owl by Greg Smith; Long-eared Owl by Greg Smith; Gila Monster by Tamara Winkler; Gila Woodpecker by Sandy Sorkin; Pyrrhuloxia by Terry Peterson; Roadrunner by Peg Abbott; Coati by Peg Abbott; Dull Firetip by Pat Owens;