A Spitsbergen nature cruise offers a tremendous wildlife and birding experience, as well as a fascinating lesson in glaciology. The islands are now a celebrated breeding ground for seabirds, marine mammals, and Polar Bear. Our ship vessel is perfectly suited for remote polar exploration letting us push north along the edge of the ice pack in search of Polar Bear, seals, and more. Enjoy presentations, shore excursions, kayaking, and Zodiac cruises. Soak in the polar landscape, witness exquisite native flora, and immerse on hikes ashore. This Arctic cruise focuses on the western and northern coast of Spitsbergen, and as far north as the permanent pack ice. This area has the highest concentration of wildlife and places of historic and scenic interest in the archipelago.
This June 17 departure is a photography symposium and is an excellent opportunity to learn from professional photographers.
- Set sail into the Greeland Sea, then explore by Zodiac, on foot, and in sea kayaks
- Look for Beluga and Reindeer and learn whaling history in Bourbonhamna
- Watch for the rare and beautiful Ivory Gull and endearing Dovekie
- Explore the sea ice as far north as 81 degrees north latitude; watch for Polar Bears and Walrus—this is the Arctic!
- Walk the tundra to see playful Arctic Fox
- Work with expert photographers and learn to perfect the tricky Arctic light
- Visit fascinating historic locations of early industry and exploration on this Arctic nature cruise
Photo credits: Walruses by Beverly Pickford, courtesy One Ocean Expeditions (OOE); Polar Bear by Daisy Gilardini photography, courtesy OOE; Svalbard by Jaime Sharp, courtesy OOE; Arctic Foxes by Daisy Gilardini photography, courtesy OOE; Kayakers by Daisy Gilardini photography, courtesy OOE; Group by Boomer Jerritt, courtesy OOE; Polar Bear by Greg Smith; Zodiac Cruise by Jaime Sharp, courtesy OOE; Dovekies by Daisy Gilardini Photography, courtesy OOE; Reindeer by Daisy Gilardini Photography, courtesy OOE; Walrus by Daisy Gilardini Photography, courtesy OOE;