Uganda is quickly gaining fame as a wonderful place to explore Africa, hosting a rich geography of wetlands, savannas and montane rainforests associated with the Albertine Rift, a high plateau where Africa’s great rivers are born and 20+ endemic bird species can be found.
From the shores of Lake Victoria to verdant forests skirting the beautiful Virunga Volcanos, Uganda hosts both a rich bird and mammal fauna. It offers a fascinating blend of the classic African safari with game drives, and the country retains some of the best forests remaining on the continent, its wild forest reserves are home to myriad beautiful birds, rare Mountain Gorilla, Chimpanzee, and other primates.
The Gorilla and Chimpanzee treks are optional, but highly recommended! A life-changing experience.
Designed to pair with our Kenya Wildlife Safari.
- Explore in the labyrinth of lagoons of Mabamba Swamp by canoe in search of Uganda’s iconic Shoebill
- Take a game drive in Lake Mburo National Park for views of Zebra, Impala, Eland, Topi, African Buffalo and more.
- Witness some of Africa’s most beautiful birds: turacos, barbets, bushshrikes, bee-eaters and broadbills.
- Enter Bwindi’s Impenetrable Forest National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that is home to approximately half of the world endangered population of Mountain Gorillas.
- Discover Bwindi’s excellent montane forest birding along the mountain spine of Africa – these lush forests support 23 of Uganda's 24 Albertine Rift endemic bird species.
- Spend time at Queen Elizabeth National Park on the Equator, in search of Elephant, Spotted Hyena, Leopard, Lion, Ugandan Kob, Side-striped Jackal, Baboon and other mammals, as well as abundant birds.
- Embark an exciting boat cruise on the Kazinga channel for excellent sightings and photo opportunities of wading birds and abundant Hippopotamus
- See why Kibale Forest National Park is the best safari destination for Chimpanzee tracking in East Africa, a place where up to 13 species of primates can be seen (and the bird list is 325 species!)
- Opt to join our extension for fabulous scenery at famous Murchison Falls on the Nile River, spectacular birding on the Lake Albert Delta, and more mammals. A short flights saves many hours of driving cross country.
Photo credits: Banner: Mountain Gorilla by Herbert Byaruhanga; African Fish Eagle by Greg Smith; Giraffe Baby by Peg Abbott; Malachite Kingfisher by Peg Abbott; Leopard by Peg Abbott; Shoebill, courtesy Bird Uganda Safaris; Zebras by Greg Smith; Madagascar Bee-eater by Peg Abbott; Hippo by Peg Abbott; Mountain Gorilla by Herbert Byaruhanga; European Roller by Herbert Byaruhanga; Elephants by Peg Abbott; Lion by Peg Abbott.