The fascinating world of Neotropical butterflies includes blue morphos, giant owl's-eye, graceful longwings, mesmerizing metalmarks, a kaleidoscope of hairstreaks, transparent glasswings and a plethora of skippers. To celebrate this diversity the Pro Nature Honduras Foundation has already begun an annual butterfly festival; unique in the entire region. The Emerald Valley Butterfly Festival highlights the species-rich region of Lake Yojoa and has an optional extension to the world famous Mayan site in Copan Ruins.
Each day of the Festival we will explore various sites around the Lake with expert guides. Although we are keen to see a large variety of species, the idea is to enjoy and photograph them in their natural surroundings. The main event culminates with two full days at the renown Emerald Valley, home to over 650 species of butterflies. This 50 acre site has several designated butterfly gardens adorned with a wide variety of plants to attract both birds and butterflies. The dates of the Festival are centered around the blooming cycle of the Blue Mistflower, when literally clouds of butterflies descend from the canopy or leave the forest to feed on its aromatic flowers.
- Day 1: Arrival to Honduras. Transfer to Lake Yojoa.
- Day 2: Early morning birding. Butterflies. At Meambar all day.
- Day 3: Early breakfast. Depart for BioParque Paradise. All day.
- Day 4: Early departure for Emerald Valley. All day Butterfly Festival.
- Day 5: Early departure for Emerald Valley. All day Butterfly Festival.
- Day 6: Early departure for Emerald Valley. All day Butterfly Festival.
- Day 7: Early departures for San Pedro Sula airport. Extension to Copan begins.
- Ext. Day 1: Arrival at Copan from Lake Yojoa.
- Ext. Day 2: Morning in nearby foothills. Afternoon at main ruins site.
- Ext. Day 3: Morning at Las Sepulturas. Afternoon free. Archaeology museum.
- Ext. Day 4: Early departure for San Pedro Sula. Int’l flights.
Photo credits: Banner: Butterfly Festival, Robert Gallardo; Glasswing Butterfly by Robert Gallardo; Blue-crowned Chlorophonia by Robert Gallardo; Glasswing Butterfly by Robert Gallardo; Blue-crowned Motmot by Robert Gallardo; Caligo Uranus by Robert Gallardo; Golden-hooded Tanager by Robert Gallardo; Peleides Blue Morpho by Robert Gallardo; White Hawk by Robert Gallardo; Catastica Nimbice, Robert Gallardo; Anastrus Meliboea, Robert Gallardo; Emesis, Robert Gallardo; Hamadryas Amphinome, Robert Gallardo; Robert Gallardo; Melete Polyhymnia, Robert Gallardo; Phoebis Argante, Robert Gallardo; Valle Esmerlda, Robert Gallardo.