Naturalist Journeys invites you on this exciting wildlife tour deep into the famed Pantanal region of Brazil. The Pantanal is home to the world’s largest fresh-water wetlands, ten-times the size of the Florida Everglades and draining into a single channel: the Paraguay River. This Pantanal wildlife tour travels deep into this world-class wildlife hotspot on a long road that bisects the Transpantaneira wilderness, in search of an adventure that can’t be missed.
In this fabled region, we enjoy wildlife thriving in a mix of savanna, forest, and wetland habitats. Even a relaxed field day can yield 100+ species of birds and dozens of mammals—Capybara, the world’s largest rodent, are everywhere!
Maned Wolf, Brazilian Tapir, Giant Anteater, Giant Otter, and oh yes, Jaguar, are five of many fantastic mammals we seek, while Harpy Eagle, Greater Rhea, Toco Toucan, Hyacinth Macaw, and Helmeted Manakin top the list of impressive birds. The Green Anaconda, the world’s largest snake, may be a lucky find, while the small crocodilian Yacaré can be seen by the hundreds. For many, it is the sheer number and variety of species that leaves the most lasting impression.
We lodge at charming and working cattle ranches on this fun Brazil birding tour, each with its own distinctive wildlife community. Lazy afternoons entice photographers to wander between shade circles of the ranch trees for rare time with Hyacinth Macaw, Red-capped Cardinal, and other species.
- Watch for South America’s “Big Five” of mammals: Maned Wolf, Giant Anteater, Giant Otter, Brazilian Tapir, and Jaguar
- See the “Big Five” of birds: Harpy Eagle, Greater Rhea, Hyacinth Macaw, Toco Toucan, and Helmeted Manakin. Add Southern Screamer, Sunbittern, Scarlet-headed Blackbird, and so many more!
- Experience the Transpantaneira wilderness road on safari-like excursions
- Search for five species of kingfisher
- Enjoy delicious local cuisine and exceptional hospitality at fazendas (working cattle ranches) at several stages along the road
- Cruise the Cuiabá River for our best chance at a Jaguar sighting
- See water birds in mass congregation — like those of the Everglades, but magnified!
- Watch for at least four species of monkeys and several hundred species of birds
- Discover night birds under intense southern sky constellations
Xavier Muñoz's background is in tourism business administration and he also is also a professional bird-naturalist guide. Co-founder of Neblina Forest in 1994, Xavier collaborates with his peers in Ecuador and the USA, including Fundacion Jocotoco and Rainforest Trust; for Xavier, ecotourism and conservation walk together. Xavier has worked with Naturalist Journeys for more than six years, leading tours in Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, and Trinidad & Tobago. He lives in Ecuador with his family and horses.
Photo credit: Demis Bucci Fotografia
Other trips with Xavier Muñoz
Brazil’s Pantanal: Jaguars! And More…July 17 - 27, 2022, w/Atlantic Forest , Chapada extensions
- Brazil’s Pantanal: Jaguars! And More…
Photo credits: Banner: Hyacinth Macaws, Mark Wetzel; Jaguar, Peg Abbott; Toco Toucan, Peg Abbott; Giant Anteater, Leon Moore; Pantanal Horseback Ride, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Agami Heron, Lori Conrad; Rufous Hornero, Peg Abbott; Jaguar, Peg Abbott, Boat-billed Herons, Tom Dove; Capybara Family, Peg Abbott; Caracara, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Giant Otter, Peg Abbott; Caiman, Xavier Muñoz.