Few places rival Costa Rica’s ecological diversity. Over a quarter of the country is protected lands, boasting 850 bird species and 200+ mammals. Costa Rica has remained at the top of our list for traveler satisfaction, with talented guides, superb nature lodges, and fabulous birds and mammals.
Join us to explore and sample the rich diversity of birds and other wildlife that make Costa Rica such a classic must for birdwatchers and general naturalists alike. Wonder at the geologic forces that created Costa Rica at Rincon de la Vieja, while also partaking in the pleasures of a spa and mud bath.
Explore the Caño Negro area, rich in colorful waders like Roseate Spoonbill and Purple Gallinule, and perhaps even Jabiru; here you can opt for an after-dinner drive to search for night birds. Drift along in a boat among towering mangrove trees in search of the endemic Mangrove Hummingbird and imposing American Crocodile. Visit the home of the late naturalist Alexander Skutch, while enjoying the ecological richness and busy fruit feeders of the property.
- Learn about the volcanic geologic forces that lifted Costa Rica out of the sea and created the biological wonderland we see today
- Search for elusive yet charismatic species such as Lesser Ground-Cuckoo and Tody Motmot at Rincon de la Vieja National Park
- Opt for a night drive to search for Black-and-white, Striped, and Tropical Screech-Owl, as well as Great and Northern Potoos
- Explore the trails of Carara National Park, where the birds of the dry northwest and wet tropics occur together to create a major diversity hotspot
- Visit the farm of the late tropical nature author and naturalist, Alexander Skutch
- Unwind in an infinity pool on the southern Pacific Coast, where the lush mountains reach the sea
Cost of the Journey
Cost of the Journey is $4990 DBL / $5390 SGL, based on double occupancy, per person.
The tour price includes airport transfers, 9 nights’ accommodations, all meals as stated in the itinerary, professional guide services, park and preserve entrance fees, and miscellaneous program expenses.
Cost of the journey does not include airfare from your home to Libia, Costa Rica, or items of a personal nature, such as alcoholic drinks from the bar, telephone, and local guide gratuities (at your discretion, we will give some guidelines).
Please plan to arrive at Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport (LIR) in time for a welcome dinner on February 1. Please book departure flights at your leisure from Juan Santamaría International Airport in San Jose on February 10. Please contact our travel agent, Pam Davis of Willamette Travel for help booking flights: email@example.com or 800-821-0401.
Photo credits coming soon.