Join Naturalist Journeys on this exciting Uganda safari. Uganda is fast gaining fame as a wonderful place to explore Africa, hosting a rich geography of wetlands, savannas, and montane rainforests associated with the Albertine Rift, a high plateau where Africa’s great rivers are born and 20+ endemic bird species can be found. From the shores of Lake Victoria to lush forests skirting the beautiful Virunga Volcanos, Uganda hosts both a rich bird and mammal fauna. It is a fascinating blend that we explore through a classic African safari with game drives. We also spend time exploring some of the best forests remaining on the continent; Uganda’s wild forest reserves are home to myriad beautiful birds, rare Mountain Gorilla, and other primates. The Gorilla and Chimpanzee treks on this trip are optional, but highly recommended!
- Explore the labyrinth of lagoons of Mabamba Swamp by canoe in search of Uganda’s iconic Shoebill
- Enjoy a game drive in Lake Mburo NP for views of Zebra, Impala, Eland, Topi, African Buffalo, and more
- See some of Africa’s most beautiful birds: turacos, barbets, bushshrikes, bee-eaters, and broadbills
- Enter Bwindi’s Impenetrable Forest NP, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, home to approximately half the world’s endangered population of Mountain Gorilla
- Discover Bwindi’s productive montane forest birding along the mountain spine of Africa—lush forests support 23 of Uganda's 24 Albertine Rift endemic birds
- Visit Queen Elizabeth National Park on the Equator in search of Elephant, Spotted Hyena, Leopard, Lion, Ugandan Kob, Side-striped Jackal, Baboon, and other mammals, as well as abundant birds
- Take an exciting boat cruise on the Kazinga channel for excellent sightings and photo opportunities of wading birds and abundant Hippopotamus
Photo credits: Banner: Mountain Gorilla by Herbert Byaruhanga; African Fish Eagle by Greg Smith; Giraffe Baby by Peg Abbott; Malachite Kingfisher by Peg Abbott; Leopard by Peg Abbott; Shoebill, courtesy Bird Uganda Safaris; Zebras by Greg Smith; Madagascar Bee-eater by Peg Abbott; Hippo by Peg Abbott; Mountain Gorilla by Herbert Byaruhanga; European Roller by Herbert Byaruhanga; Elephants by Peg Abbott; Lion by Peg Abbott; Leopard by Peg Abbott; African Skimmers by Peg Abbott; Women Dancing at Bwindi by Peg Abbott; Gorilla Trekking by Peg Abbott; Guides Judy & Herbert by Peg Abbott; Lionesses by Peg Abbott; Cattle by Peg Abbott; Gorilla and Linda by Peg Abbott; Guides by Peg Abbott; Chimpanzee by Chuck Paden; Elephant by Peg Abbott; Great Blue Turaco by Peg Abbott; Group Birding by Peg Abbott; Gorilla by Peg Abbott; Malachite Kingfishers by Peg Abbott.