Join guide Bob Behrstock on a wild and wonderful Panama nature tour. The wildlife of North and South America blend here in Panama and the biodiversity is unmatched. This tour explore the dense western jungles interspersed with open agricultural areas of Panama’s Darién region, long coveted, but just recently opened to birders and nature enthusiasts.
Like so much of the world, most of the Darién’s primary forest has been logged, yet this forest still boasts many rich habitats; indeed, the Darién region continues to produce new Central American records and is a stepping stone for northward spreading species like Southern Lapwing, Whistling Heron, Pearly-breasted Cuckoo, Slender-billed Kite, Cattle Tyrant, and Yellow-hooded Blackbird.
Spend delightful days at the new Canopy Camp Darién, which boasts modern amenities like large, safari-style tents, private baths and showers, full-size beds, flush toilets, fans, and solar electricity. Two nights at the start and end are in Panama City.
- See Nusagandi, one of Panama’s first ecotourism projects, conceived and built by the Kuna Tribe
- Walk Canopy Camp’s trails for local specialties like Black Antshrike, Double-banded Graytail, Gray-cheeked Nunlet, Yellow-breasted Flycatcher, and Russet-winged Schiffornis
- Spend time exploring near Yaviza, at the end of the Pan-American Highway and less than 50km from Colombia
- Look for night birds near camp, including Striped, Crested, Barn, Black-and-white, and Mottled Owls, as well as Common and Great Potoos
- Search Las Lagunas for beautiful Capped Heron and the extraordinary Black-capped Donacobius
- Visit Fundación Tierra Nueva, a non-profit that “works towards the sustainable development of people of the Darién Rainforest”
- Spend time in the mountain village of Nuevo Vigia, accessible by piragua (locally made dugout canoes)
Photo credits: Banner: Black Howler Monkey by Peg Abbott; Juvenile Harpy Eagle by Pat Lueders; Pheasant Cuckoo by Carla Bregman; Birding from Canopy Camp by Peg Abbott; Capped Heron by Don Cooper; Forest Birding by Peg Abbott; Canopy Camp by Lori Conrad; Night Monkeys by Carla Bregman; White-headed Marsh Tyrant by Mike Boyce; White-fronted Capuchin by Peg Abbott; Common Black Hawk by Greg Smith; Broad-billed Motmot, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Purple Gallinule by Tom Dove.