Join Naturalist Journeys for this exciting Big Bend nature tour. Find yourself in the big, bold landscape of Big Bend National Park, home to the beautifully-eroded Chisos Mountains, a treasure in North America’s Chihuahuan Desert.
This July trip is scheduled for the start of monsoon season, when summer rains bring a burst of biodiversity and ignite a seasonally-lush desert landscape. The desert is surprisingly green! The rolling hills, rugged mountains, and deep canyons glow in red and orange hues, as waterfalls cascade over cliffs.
Feel the rhythm of monsoon season as Western, Eastern, Mexican, and Rocky Mountain birds converge — nearly 450 species are found in the park, many rare or vagrant. Search for mammals like jackrabbits, kangaroo rats, Coyote, Badger, Javelina, and even Mountain Lion or Black Bear. Many wildflowers bloom only in this season. Monsoon season is also terrific for reptiles, many of which are colorful and unique to the region. NEW! for 2019, we have bumped this tour up to July to give you the chance to see the Colima Warbler. We find summer a fascinating time to visit!
We enjoy lovely accommodations and some fun West Texas cuisine along the way … and of course, wonderful company.
- Slow down and enjoy life more slowly, the “Texas Way”
- Discover two of the three Sky Island mountain ranges in the state of Texas
- See the beautiful, rugged mountains of west Texas in their greenest season during Big Bend’s “second spring”
- Traverse some of the most ruggedly beautiful roads in west Texas
- Witness amazingly clear desert night skies, perfect for stargazing
- See many of the 70 border specialty butterflies, including Poling’s and Sandia Hairstreaks, Hepburn’s and “Chisos” Nais Metalmarks, Chisos Banded-Skipper, Chinati Checkerspot, and Chisos Skipperling
Photo credits: Banner: A Misty Morning in the Chisos, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Rio Grande Boardwalk, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Claret Cup, Woody Wheeler; Ocotillo, Woody Wheeler; Painted Bunting, Mark Wetzel; Rio Grande, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Big Bend Window Trail, Naturalist Journeys Stock; Lucifer Hummingbird by Bob Behrstock.